Howarth Model XL+3 Oboe
In 1995 Howarth began to develop a prestige model oboe with a completely new bore and tone hole structure. Working in collaboration with world-class players, their craftsmen created an instrument with a more focussed sound, and unparalleled intonation and projection. The XL found immediate success in the greatest orchestras, and in the hands of the world’s finest soloists, and it remains first choice for discerning oboists across the globe. The flexibility of the XL appeals to both the professional and the accomplished amateur, and is prominent in many leading youth orchestras. "Howarth oboes have always been special...that elusive flexibility of sound which enables a player to find his or her own voice on the instrument." Gordon Hunt, The Philharmonia Orchestra, London Designed for the professional player, the density of the Blackwood body gives a dark and powerful sound, enhancing the projection. This prestige oboe is hand-made by Howarth's most experienced craftsmen with at least 15 years of experience.
- Body in African Blackwood, also known as Grenadilla (dalbergia melanoxylon)
- Full Gillet System Semi-Automatic Octaves
- 3rd Octave Key C-D Trill Key (x 2)
- C-C# Trill Key
- Forked F vent
- Extra trill mechanisms (Ab-B♭, Ab-A) & "Banana Key"
- Low C-C# trill E♭-E trill mechanism
- Articulated C# mechanism Philadelphia link (double adjusting screw on C touch piece)
- Metal-lined tenon sockets and sleeved tenons Undercut tone holes Low B♭ vent
- All necessary adjusting screws
- Adjustable Thumbrest